Sunday, February 24, 2008

Martian Child: There's a bit of both in all of us

I admit it. I'm a sucker for John Cusack flicks.
High Fidelity's high on my list. So is Grosse Pointe Blank.
Runaway Jury. Say Anything.
Except maybe Serendipity.
That sucked.
I watched it just that once. Never again.
Even if co-stars one of my uber-crushes Kate Beckingsdale (grrr..).
It sappy-sucked.
Heck, even 1408 was good.
But Martian Child is amusingly refreshing.
Sure, Cusack is getting along in years, and the kookiness is wearing thin,
but he manages a respectable balance, teetering between being funny yet passably serious. And though child adoption isn't a stranger to hollyweird flick topics (remember Raising Helen or the recent No Reservations), Martian Child
has an angle. A young boy who's convinced he's from Mars. And a man who takes his word for it. And then some. Heartwarming yet not in a sobby, wimpy girly-girl sorta way. A must-see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home